COLUMBUS, Ohio - House Speaker Paul Ryan says he had just gotten his driver's license the last time Congress overhauled the nation's tax system.
He insists lawmakers will act now even as he deals with deep divisions in his own Republican Party.
During a round-table discussion Wednesday at a central Ohio contract packaging plant, Ryan focused on reducing the number of tax brackets to three, eliminating tax breaks and simplifying the code to cut rates for individuals.
He says overhaul is long overdue. Congress last acted in 1986.
- State Highway 92 back open after car crash
- MPD: Pedestrian in stable condition after crash Stoughton Road
- Freezing rain, ice storm possible starting Sunday night
- Appleton man arrested after threatening to 'shoot up the school'
- Possibly icy days ahead
- Delavan man arrested for shooting at vehicle in road rage incident, officials say