JANESVILLE, Wis. - An explosion in Rock County Thursday morning seems to have been caused by the explosive Tannerite, which is legal to buy, according to the Janesville Gazette.
The Gazette reported that the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is investigating the explosion. The Rock County Sheriff's Office is also involved
From the investigation, the Gazette said, the explosion appears to have been caused by the Tannerite being placed into a 1990s Jeep and detonated by gunfire.
The Jeep was exploded in a remote area West of Milton and was not near any homes.
Authorities are trying to identify who caused the explosion, but the Gazette said that it is not likely criminal charges will be filed.
The explosion was reportedly felt in several cities in Rock County, according to the Gazette, including Edgerton, Milton and Janesville.
- Police: Wife shot in DeForest, husband in custody Friday night
- MSO concert reflects the gravity of the day
- Volunteers pack 120K meals to feed starving children
- Madison police rarely issue tickets for loud dogs
- Driver arrested after eluding officers, driving 100 mph, officials say
- Madison-made technology to treat diabetic foot ulcers