FOND DU LAC, Wis. - Students and staff at Fond du Lac High School are a bit on edge as the search continues for a missing python.
The 3-foot long snake escaped from its cage at the high school sometime over the Labor Day weekend. Principal Matt Steinbarth says there's some evidence the snake entered the ventilation system at some point.
Steinbarth says the snake, called Kai, is nocturnal, so it's unlikely it would come out of hiding during the day. The school says the snake belongs to an instructor and has no history of harming anyone or striking out.
The school has set some traps to lure the snake back into captivity. Voicemails and emails were sent to parents of the school's 2,000 students earlier this week about the snake's escape and assuring them Kai does not pose a threat.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
Middleton Police Chief receives Hometown Hero Award
Mineral Point woman allegedly beaten by subcontractor after she refused to pay for incomplete job
- Mineral Point woman allegedly beaten by subcontractor after she refused to pay for incomplete job
- Local girl pays it forward with heartfelt donation
- 'They're in there helping the little guy': Janesville farmer explains how Farm Aid 2019 helps him
- 4 children, 1 woman injured when car hit horse and buggy
- Lodi Police Department names new chief, addresses plans for department
- Funeral set for Milwaukee officer, hit by driver in 2017