MADISON, Wis. - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is backing President Donald Trump's recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital.
Walker, a Republican, on Thursday tweeted his support of the president's announcement, which unleashed fierce criticism from America's allies and enemies around the world.
Walker says, "How can we ignore the capital of one of our closest allies in the world? Of course Jerusalem is the capital of Israel."
Walker, the head of the Republican Governors Association, goes on to say that the American embassy should be in the same place as the seat of government.
Israel welcomed Trump's declaration, while Palestinian officials declared the Mideast peace process "finished." The Palestinians seek east Jerusalem as the capital of a future independent state.
- State Assembly to give final approval to big bills
- Walker recommends new 'opportunity zones' in 40 counties
- Groups praise demise of $350 million for prison
- Senate adjourns without taking up frac sand exemptions
- Paul Ryan challenger urges march participation in new ad
- Dallet touts liberal backing at fundraiser