MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee officials plan to extend the city's streetcar route to the Wisconsin Center District convention hall in time for the 2020 Democratic National Convention.
The Journal Sentinel reports that Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett on Wednesday unveiled plans to add 2.4 miles to the 2.1-mile streetcar system known as The Hop. The expansion includes about a half-mile extension to Wisconsin Avenue, where convention facilities are located.
Barrett says that he has wanted to extend the streetcar into other neighborhoods and the convention is the "vehicle to do it." The mayor says the streetcar still has its detractors but adds that most people he talks to want a bigger route. The system now includes five streetcars and 18 stations.
The plans must first be approved by the Common Council.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Gov. Evers orders flags at half-staff for firefighter shot, killed in Appleton
- AG Kaul sues Purdue Pharma over opioid marketing practices
- Governor sends condolences to family of Appleton firefighter killed in shooting
- Supreme Court says county can order town to rename roads
- Wisconsin Assembly OKs 'born alive' bill
- Conservative justices question lame-duck case