MILWAUKEE - Oprah Winfrey's mother, Vernita Lee, has died at the age of 83.
A Winfrey spokeswoman on Monday issued a statement saying Lee died at her Milwaukee home on Nov. 22. The spokeswoman says private funeral services were held. No other details were provided.
Lee was a teenager when she gave birth to Winfrey in Mississippi in 1954. They moved to Milwaukee when Winfrey was 6 years old.
Lee was featured getting a makeover on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" in 1990.
Lee is also survived by another daughter, Patricia Amanda, and four grandchildren. She was predeceased by a son, Jeffrey, and by a daughter, Patricia.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- MPD Academy graduates one of its biggest recruit classes
- 56-year-old Janesville man arrested for 4th offense OWI, DOT reports
- Former Milwaukee jail leader sentenced in dehydration death
- Genealogist leads to 82-year-old charged in 1976 cold case
- Badgers lose, but day is win for local bars
- Russia report delivered to Rosenstein, then Barr