MADISON, Wis. - As usual, a lot happens during a two-week vacation. This time it was the resignation of Madison Police Chief Mike Koval. While no surprise to us, it's still a big deal. So while it feels like everything that could be said has been said, we've got a few things to say about the chief.
First of all, Mike Koval was a good guy. He was thoughtful and funny and self-deprecating and generous in ways often unnoticed. To say he wore his heart on his sleeve is an understatement. But in that heart was a passion for policing and the city of Madison. Like everybody else, we did not always agree with him. But we never questioned that heart.
This is an extremely tough time to be a cop, to say nothing of a police chief. We look forward to a robust, smart and meaningful conversation about the next chief. But we want to thank Mike Koval for his commitment and his decades of service to Madison.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
Editorial: The persistent, pervasive problem of homelessness in Wisconsin
Editorial: Listening to all of Wisconsin
- PFC names Wahl official acting chief as search for permanent replacement begins
- Texas man suspected of killing girlfriend, infant daughter who moved from Wisconsin to be with him
- Schoep's Ice Cream Co. files for receivership
- City leaders address pedestrian safety on the isthmus
- Darlington police chief who was forgotten for the last 86 years to be honored for line-of-duty death
- Sun Prairie cutting down voter wait time by doubling up on polling places