This is not of course the first politically-motivated shutdown of the federal government, and it undoubtedly will not be the last.
This is how the game is played these days and for the most part the damage is minimal.
However it is not without damage, especially for federal workers living paycheck to paycheck like so many of us.
But there is also significant damage to the level of trust citizens have in their elected officials to do their jobs, solve problems and get things done. And that’s where shutdown and government have become synonymous.
The goal of the game now is to shut down the other side. Better to have nothing happen, or worse, so the other side can be blamed, than to compromise in the interest of actually governing.
This government shutdown is hurtful and embarrassing. But it is to be expected from a shutdown government that has willingly lost its ability to function.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Spring Green man receives prison time for distributing fentanyl that killed a man
- Teen arrested for OWI says seizure caused him to crash into house: 'Scariest moment in my life'
- Plane makes emergency landing in Wisconsin, pilot injured
- Opioid epidemic now taking more lives than car crashes, report says
- Medical examiner identifies man found dead in Marshall cornfield
- After relatively snow-less winter, salt trucks, plows hit the road again