MADISON, Wis. - It sure seems like our elected officials have become absolutely incapable of doing their jobs without at least a little something being in it for them. Republicans in the Wisconsin Legislature have apparently realized there is actually a law and a public will to accommodate people with disabilities in every aspect of life and will now allow State Representative Jimmy Anderson to call into committee meetings when his disability requires it. But in yet another sign of callous indifference to dignity and ethical behavior the lawmakers refused to consult Rep. Anderson on the changes and worse yet snuck into the same bill changes to strengthen Republican power in the Assembly.
Speaker Robin Vos embarrassed himself, his party and this state with his petty and mean-spirited refusal to accommodate a fellow public servant with a disability in the first place. And now we're expected to give him and his fellow Republicans credit for this? Can't you do the right thing right just once?
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Madison officers pepper-spray man who threatens bus driver, police
- Complaint: Reedsburg man charged with showing girls sexual video
- Woman says someone destroyed her American, Trump flag; spray-painted home on Veterans Day
- LIVE: Multiple people hurt in Southern California high school shooting
- Deputy charged with misconduct, marijuana possession
- DNA on discarded cigarette leads to homicide charges