MADISON, Wis. - We agree with the Madison school board's decision to fast-track the process of filling the vacancy on the board created by Mary Burke's decision to step down.
The board has some big discussions on important issues coming up and we appreciate board president Gloria Reyes' concern over having enough board members available for a quorum.
We don't take lightly the importance of finding a qualified candidate for the seat, and we trust the six current board members will put in the work necessary to make a good choice. And we'd be more concerned if there were a demonstrated shortage of potential candidates.
But recent elections have featured contested races with qualified candidates with a diversity of backgrounds and ideas, and we're certain a good board member will emerge. In that case we see no need to drag out the process.
There's still time for potential candidates to seek the appointment and we hope more people do.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- 5 killed in 3-vehicle traffic accident in South Texas
- Police say 2 Milwaukee men die after running red light
- We Energies still working to restore power in Fox Valley
- Report: 11 Wisconsin hospitals stopped delivering babies
- In some states, GOP employs the recall as a political weapon
- Man robbed at gunpoint while walking home from bars