MADISON, Wis. - We are supporters of the effort to select the 115th Fighter Wing at Dane County's Truax Field as the location for the US Air Force F-35 fighter jet. So we're pleased the draft environmental impact statement released last week showed minimal environmental impact from housing the new planes at Truax. Most significantly the statement shows no significant impacts on air quality or land use. As expected, there will be some increase in noise in the area mainly as a result of an expansion of the affected area.
Supporters, like Together Truax, view the 115th as a major economic asset to the community and a valuable safety feature at the airport. Interestingly crews from the 115th helped put out the fire at the MG&E plant a few weeks ago.
The public hearing process moves forward with the next public hearing scheduled for early September. We hope citizens for and against will continue to stay engaged to make this work for everyone as best it can.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Officials ID man killed in officer-involved shooting in Beloit
- 2 officers injured by suspect who led a nearly 65-mile chase
- Emergency crews at scene after vehicle crashes into building in Marshall
- Man proposes with lit-up message at Holiday Fantasy in Lights
- Wisconsin co. won't reopen flood-damaged Nebraska jerky plant
- Middleton police chief to retire Friday after four decades of service