MADISON, Wis. - We are supporters of the effort to select the 115th Fighter Wing at Dane County's Truax Field as the location for the US Air Force F-35 fighter jet. So we're pleased the draft environmental impact statement released last week showed minimal environmental impact from housing the new planes at Truax. Most significantly the statement shows no significant impacts on air quality or land use. As expected, there will be some increase in noise in the area mainly as a result of an expansion of the affected area.
Supporters, like Together Truax, view the 115th as a major economic asset to the community and a valuable safety feature at the airport. Interestingly crews from the 115th helped put out the fire at the MG&E plant a few weeks ago.
The public hearing process moves forward with the next public hearing scheduled for early September. We hope citizens for and against will continue to stay engaged to make this work for everyone as best it can.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Willy Street Co-Op community initiative allows anyone to paint new art mural
- Orangutan Conservation Day informs public of dangers in palm oil farming
- Visions Nightclub to 'contest vigorously' as City Attorney's Office seeks to revoke liquor license
- Wedding photos returned to couple, after equipment stolen from Madison photographer
- Wisconsin Athletics confirms Quintez Cephus will officially rejoin Badger football team
- 'I'm ready to win football games': Cephus wants to rejoin Badger football following reinstatement