MADISON, Wis. - It used to be there were some issues that simply transcended partisan politics; protecting children, helping the elderly, support for our armed forces come to mind.
These days, of course, nothing transcends politics, which makes it awfully refreshing if not hopeful that U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin is co-sponsoring legislation to provide family caregivers badly needed tax relief with her Republican colleague Sen. Joni Ernst from Iowa. In fact the bill has co-sponsors of both parties in both houses of Congress.
Given that party leaders do not look kindly on bipartisanship we do not take such courage by co-sponsors lightly. On the other hand, in Wisconsin and Iowa alone more than 870,000 family caregivers provide hundreds of millions of hours of care to family members every year at considerable cost.
Giving these folks a little help keeps families together, and reduces costs and impact on the health care system. It’s smart and it’s caring, and all the better, it shows working together is possible.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Dane County Humane Society supports efforts to block Spring Green beagle breeding facility
- Man expected to survive after being shot by deputy during hostage situation in Marquette County
- The overlooked danger in severe weather: lightning strikes
- 2 men rob cigarettes from Kwik Trip using screwdriver, crowbar
- Complaint: Women facing charges one year after girl dies of suffocation, patterned beating
- 4 children, 2 adults dead after house fire in northern Wisconsin