MADISON, Wis. - At the risk of spoiling a beautiful summer week for some of you, the reality is the start of a new school year is not that far off. And really, going back to school is something to celebrate, and no one knows that better, or does it better, than 100 Black Men of Madison.
Saturday is the 25th annual back to school celebration to help our economically disadvantaged youth and their families prepare for the upcoming school year.
Over the past 24 years, 100 Black Men of Madison has provided more than 37,000 free backpacks filled with school supplies to area youth. This year's celebration will also include health screenings, school and reduced lunch registration, certificates for free haircuts and child care safe seats and more.
100 Black Men of Madison does this right, and it does it well. We're appreciative of the group's dedication to getting our kids ready to learn.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Sheriff: 13-year-old on GPS monitoring was driver in high-speed chase that ended in Columbia County
- Police: Janesville man who drove on curbs, damaged public property arrested for 8th OWI
- DNC delegations won't stay in Madison, but party chair says visitors will
- Fennimore man faces 3 charges of sexual assault involving 3 children
- Dane County uses snow plow simulator to prepare drivers for winter
- Dane County Medical Examiner identifies Madison's first homicide victim of 2019