MADISON, Wis. - News 3 Now/Channel3000.com has been honored with five regional Edward R. Murrow Awards by the Radio Television Digital News Association, including the prestigious award for overall excellence.
The awards from the RTDNA recognize outstanding achievements in journalism and have been awarded since 1971.
News 3 Now journalists were recognized for coverage of important stories in southern Wisconsin, including breaking news coverage of the Sun Prairie explosion, as well as emotional stories about mental health issues and the changing face of farming in the state.
The five awards recognize work from 2018 in the following categories:
--Breaking News: Sun Prairie Explosion
--Continuing Coverage: Sun Prairie Explosion
--Excellence in Sound: Farmer's Reality, Leah Linscheid
--News Series: Time to Talk, Dannika Lewis
--Overall Excellence: News 3 Now/Channel3000 staff
The awards were chosen for small market television in a region including stations from Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin.
The five entries will now advance to the National Murrow Award competition, facing off against small television market stations across the country.
These awards are the most recent in a long history of honors for News 3 Now/Channel3000 from the RTDNA. The station was honored with four regional awards in 2018, and three in 2017. News 3 Now won the most small market regional awards in the country in 2016 with eight. Three of those regional winners were awarded national Murrow awards.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Middleton woman arrested on suspicion of 8th OWI
- 'I knew someone was going to come at me': WI National Guard whistleblower fights medical discharge
- Marquette County deputies ask public for help in finding suspected burglar caught on camera
- ‘Life is a priority': Madison considers joining project to bring severe traffic injuries to zero
- LGBT groups ask city of Beloit to ban conversion therapy practice
- Rape Crisis Center questions why man convicted of child sex assault likely won't serve prison time