News

Neighbors help woman after fire destroys home, leaves brother dead

MADISON, Wis. - Neighbors watched as a Saturday night fire destroyed a house on Madison's west side, and they say they want to do what they can to help.

Madison Fire Department Chief Steven Davis confirmed that one man died as a result of the fire on Sheffield Road off Seminole Highway.

Davis said the man's sister was taken to UW Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries related to smoke inhalation and minor burns.

He could not confirm their names Sunday afternoon.

 

 

Laurelin Brokaw and her husband, who live in the house across the street, left their house before 7 on Saturday night. When they returned home, they found commotion up and down their street.

Brokaw soon learned her neighbor tried to put out the fire but was unable.

"She was in shock in the middle of the street, just saying, 'No, no, no' over again," Brokaw said.

Brokaw set up a GoFundMe page for the woman to buy clothes, bedding and other things she lost in the fire. She is encouraging anyone who can to donate to help ease the woman's burden after all that she's lost.

"She is a person that lost everything at this point -- her brother, her cat, her house. All that she had last night was the clothes on her back," Brokaw said.

 

 


Local And Regional News

Photo Galleries

This Week's Circulars

E-News Registration