Monroe County deputies released the names of the victims who were involved in two separate highway crashes that took place Monday.
According to a news release from the Monroe County Sheriff's Office, the first crash happened at roughly 7:20 a.m. at the intersection of Highway 33 and County Highway PC.
Officials said the driver, Kurt Hauge, failed to stop at a stop sign and struck a truck as a result. Hauge suffered injuries from the crash and remains in a hospital. Phyllis Mellen, one of the passengers who rode with Hauge, died in the crash. The vehicle's other two passengers suffered life-threatening injuries.
The release said a one-vehicle crash happened at 11:07 a.m. on U.S. Highway 12 north of County Highway G. The driver, Larry Jurgens, drove off the road and into a ditch. An ambulance took him to a hospital, where he died the next day after suffering injuries from the crash.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
School district asks for input on potential multimillion dollar upgrades to Madison high schools
Fight breaks out at West Towne Mall food court; man with handgun among suspects
- Fight breaks out at West Towne Mall food court; man with handgun among suspects
- Two in custody following vehicle chase spanning several counties
- ‘This will happen': Cancer patient aims to raise $50K for breast cancer research by 50th birthday
- Oregon School District superintendent announces plan for retirement
- Trial for Rock County man accused of stabbing woman to death enters second day, evidence presented
- 'It's really just a Band-Aid': Food pantry CEO says wheel tax reimbursement isn't enough