Monroe County deputies released the names of the victims who were involved in two separate highway crashes that took place Monday.
According to a news release from the Monroe County Sheriff's Office, the first crash happened at roughly 7:20 a.m. at the intersection of Highway 33 and County Highway PC.
Officials said the driver, Kurt Hauge, failed to stop at a stop sign and struck a truck as a result. Hauge suffered injuries from the crash and remains in a hospital. Phyllis Mellen, one of the passengers who rode with Hauge, died in the crash. The vehicle's other two passengers suffered life-threatening injuries.
The release said a one-vehicle crash happened at 11:07 a.m. on U.S. Highway 12 north of County Highway G. The driver, Larry Jurgens, drove off the road and into a ditch. An ambulance took him to a hospital, where he died the next day after suffering injuries from the crash.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Snow this evening ending around midnight
- Three new police officers, no ambulance: Police, fire departments react to city budget decisions
- Plover man sentenced to seven years in federal prison for meth distribution
- Man sentenced to 84 months for possessing heroin with intent to distribute
- Edgewood College soccer, lacrosse teams moving to new venue
- Olbrich Botanical Gardens preparing to show off new learning center, greenhouses