BARNEVELD, Wis. - Botham Vineyards and Winery is marking 30 years in business this year. But, for the first time ever, there will be no harvest this year due to harsh weather over the winter and spring.
Peter and Sarah Botham planted their first grape vines in 1989 on a former cattle ranch south of Barneveld.
Extreme cold over the winter and unseasonable temperatures in May and June, accompanied by heavy rain has left so little fruit on the vines that it won’t pay for the Bothams to conduct a harvest.
Despite the weather punches that destroyed their 7 acres of red grapes, the Bothams will still make wine this year. They typically buy about 80% of their grape juice from a New York wholesaler with the remaining 20% of the grapes coming from their own vineyard.
Peter and Sarah believe they have enough wine aging to handle demand. The winery's tasting room will remain open Wednesday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Dec. 24. The winery will close for the season and then reopen the first weekend in March.
Botham Vineyards will still host its Uncorked 5K run on Sept. 28 and later this fall will officially acknowledge its 30 years in business that have produced nearly 2 million bottles of wine sold throughout the state.
Botham Vineyards & Winery is just off Highway K south of Highway 18-151.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Get holiday shopping done early this year to avoid tariffs
- NYT: Bank employees reported suspicious Trump, Kushner activity
- Mueller report proves some ‘fake news' scoops were very real
- Facebook collected 1.5 million users' email contacts without their knowledge
- JPMorgan: China tariffs could cost US households $1,000 a year
- Dick's Sporting Goods is testing if it should stop selling guns