MADISON, Wis. - A phone call from neighbors reporting a fire alarm going off in an apartment building prevented greater harm around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday, according to the Madison Fire Department.
A neighbor called the Fire Department because they heard a fire alarm going off on the 100 block of South Hamilton, and thought they could smell smoke. When firefighters arrived at the scene, they found the resident asleep next to a couch that was on fire.
The firefighters put out the fire and paramedics evaluated the occupant before sending her to the hospital with minor injuries related to the fire.
Fire damages were contained to the couch and did not spread to nearby walls or other objects. The apartment sustained minor smoke damage. Firefighters found smoking materials on the couch and on the floor surrounding the couch, according to the release.
Officials said the early reporting of the smoke alarm by the neighbor helped prevent the fire from causing greater harm and damage.
- Sprecher's Restaurant & Pub to drain taps, close Friday
- Armed robber leaves with money from Middleton Associated Bank, police say
- Downtown restaurant assists with vehicle fire, officials say
- Suspicious person reported at Marshall High School Monday, officials say
- DOC: Milwaukee prisoner escapes from a work site
- Cougar spotted on Brookfield porch, wandering southeastern Wisconsin