MADISON, Wis. - Madison firefighters believe an electric bike battery caused an overnight fire inside a garage on the city's far east side.
Firefighters were called out to a condo complex on Catalina Parkway just after midnight Wednesday, according to a release by the Madison Fire Department.
Firefighters said a sprinkler system had the fire under control and only a small amount of smoke had entered other rooms.
E-Bike Catches Fire, Damage Limited Thanks To Automatic Sprinkler Location: 4500 block Catalina Parkway Incident Type: Electrical Dispatch: 07/17/2019 12:02am A fire that broke out in a garage overnight was contained by an automatic... https://t.co/BepWxlRzmb— Madison Fire Dept. (@MadisonWIFire) July 17, 2019
An investigation found the bike was being charged and its battery started the fire, according to Cynthia Schuster, a spokesperson for the Madison Fire Department.
The bike and a workbench nearby in the garage were damaged.
The owner told firefighters the electric portion of the e-bike was an aftermarket kit, purchased on eBay, Schuster said.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- 87-year-old man dies after head-on crash in Town of Burke
- The Ride event in Madison canceled due to poor weather
- Highway 14 open after Rock County crash
- Man breaks leg, requires surgery following hit-and-run in Madison
- 15-year-old Madison teen crashes car into tree, arrested for OWI
- Pecatonica Area School District responds to controversial float in homecoming parade