Christopher O'Kroley, the man who shot and killed Caroline Nosal outside Metro Market Grocery store on Madison's far east side last year, died in prison Tuesday morning, officials said.
O'Kroley was an inmate at Waupun Correctional Institution and died early Tuesday morning, Department of Corrections officials said.
DOC officials have not confirmed the cause of death, but Jane Nosal, Caroline's mother, told News 3 O'Kroley killed himself in prison.
"Per DOC policy, an internal investigation has begun and DOC has contacted the Dodge County Sheriff’s Office," a statement to News 3 said.
O'Kroley and Nosal were former co-workers at the Metro Market Grocery store on Madison's far east side. Nosal was shot as she walked to her car after a shift on Feb. 2. 2016. O'Kroley blamed Nosal for getting him fired. She complained to management that he was harassing another employee.
Amanda Joers, O'Kroley's former girlfriend and the mother of his child, said she and her family were increasingly concerned about O'Kroley's mental health.
She said they called the prison on April 6 about their concerns and were told he was not at any risk to himself.
O'Kroley was sentenced in September to life in prison with the possibility of parole.
- Madison area Noodles & Company robbed at gunpoint
- New west-side DMV opens Monday amid civil complaint from the city
- Sun Prairie Volunteer Fire Department mourns Dalmatian hit by car
- Firefighter injured, 5 displaced after Janesville apartment fire
- Missing Marquette man found safe
- Madison man identified in fatal Beloit crash, officials say