It’s a sure sign of spring: The Merrimac Ferry is open for the 2019 season.
The ferry shuttles vehicles and bikes free of charge across the Wisconsin River between Sauk and Columbia counties. During the season, it operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The ferry holds 15 vehicles at a time, in addition to bicycles and people. It typically takes about seven minutes to cross the river.
In 2018, the ferry made 46,613 trips and carried 239,783 vehicles across the river between Merrimac and Okee.
The ferry will remain open until ice forms again on the Wisconsin River, which typically happens in the fall.
You can sign up for alerts when the ferry is temporarily closed by visiting this link.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- The Ride event in Madison canceled due to poor weather
- Highway 14 open after Rock County crash
- Man breaks leg, requires surgery following hit-and-run in Madison
- 15-year-old Madison teen crashes car into tree, arrested for OWI
- Pecatonica Area School District responds to controversial float in homecoming parade
- Police: 19-year-old woman sexually assaulted in car while visiting downtown Madison