VERONA, Wis. - A 56-year-old woman died after a bicycle crash Sunday afternoon.
A Ford Escape, operated by a 34-year-old woman, was traveling westbound on County Highway PD when it was struck by a bicyclist at 3:43 p.m., according to the Dane County Sheriff's Office.
An incident report said the bicyclist failed to stop southbound at the stop sign on Military Ridge State Trail at the intersection of Highway PD just west of Timber Lane.
Officials say the bicyclist was wearing a helmet and was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the Ford Escape was uninjured.
Law enforcement personnel closed Highway PD between Timber Lane and Gust Road for approximately four hours while the crash was investigated.
The Dane County Sheriff's Office Crash Reconstruction Team responded to the scene and the crash remains under investigation.
The Dane County Medical Examiner's Office will release the name of the bicyclist pending notification of family.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- New plans in the works to make Pheasant Branch Conservancy flood-proof
- Regulators OK southwestern Wisconsin power line
- Stoughton police stop stolen car, arrest teen
- 8-year-old girl calls 911 after uncle becomes unresponsive behind the wheel
- Madison police searching for woman accused of stabbing boyfriend during fight
- Authorities use DNA to identify 6 victims of Wisconsin fire