WISCONSIN DELLS - A Wisconsin veteran received a Quilt of Valor on Saturday.
Justin Neumeier thought he was going to a small dinner at Sprecher Restaurant. Instead, his family and friends surprised him with the quilt.
Neumeier's girlfriend nominated the Marine combat veteran for a Quilt of Valor last year for serving in the military and fighting in the Battle of Ramadi.
The purpose of the quilt is to comfort and heal veterans from the trauma of war.
"You know, even just getting up in the morning is a struggle for some guys," Neumeier said.
"I found myself there too after the war many times. And just having someone to say that they care, you know, is just enough to get you going."
Neumeier says having the recognition is more than he can put into words.
A Quilt of Valor is a lifetime award. The organization has given out more than 231,000 quilts to military members and veterans.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- What problems are showing up in your child's school bus
- River Alliance of Wisconsin announces partnership to better protect native species
- Neighbors support keeping Jenifer Street Market in current location
- Dodge County man wins $2.8 million in SuperCash! drawing
- Clouds made a difference in today's temperatures
- Trial to resolve Feb. Beloit homicide likely will reach deliberation tomorrow