AHSWAUBENON, Wis. - A man accused of stealing a large crucifix from a church near Green Bay and using it to damage a sign outside a TV station is now facing disorderly conduct charges in Marathon County.
Police in Wausau arrested 29-year-old Brendan McSweeney following a disturbance at a restaurant Friday night. McSweeney is also charged with criminal damage to property and resisting an officer in that case.
McSweeney is suspected of walking into Nativity of Our Lord parish in Ashwaubenon earlier in the day, stealing the crucifix, then using it to bash a sign outside WLUK-TV.
Authorities say relatives have told investigators McSweeney has a mental illness and has not been taking his medication. He appeared in Marathon County Circuit Court Monday afternoon. Court records do not list an attorney for McSweeney.
- Oklahoma court removes some language in Pruitt FOIA ruling
- Minivan driver shot, crashes into tree in Racine
- Police: Violent mall thief breaks security guard's phone, faces intimidating witness charge
- Silly Yak Bakery set to close end of March
- Police: Road-rage driver drove at couple in wrong lane, threatened them with brass knuckles
- MPD: Neighbor tipped off by motion light chases, holds down trespasser