MADISON, Wis. - A Madison man was arrested Tuesday night after trying to break into a home because he wanted to "use a telephone."
Madison police said 36-year-old Daniel Cleary was arrested on suspicion of attempted burglary around 11:45 p.m. on the 1800 block of East Washington Ave.
According to an incident report, the homeowner was having a beer and watching a movie with his wife when he heard a noise on the side of his house. He then found a stranger attempting to get into his home.
Police said a struggle ensued between the homeowner and Cleary, which ended with Cleary losing his backpack and running away.
Officials said the homeowner provided a description of Cleary on the phone with 911 dispatch. When the homeowner told police the burglar was wearing a hat, Cleary reportedly tossed his hat into the street, having heard the conversation.
Police later found Cleary, who claimed he was "just trying to get into the home to use a telephone."
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Gov. Evers signs executive order creating task force on reducing prescription drug prices
- Animal-free Venardos Circus running at West Towne Mall until Sept. 2
- Disney Classics returning to Marcus Theatres in September
- ‘It would have been a huge impact': Village happy Cambria plant is being sold rather than closing
- Senate Health Committee hears arguments for and against dental therapists bill
- Customers sad to see Michael's Frozen Custard location go: 'It's been here forever and ever'