MADISON, Wis. - Madison-area companies are giving back to those in need following an explosion and fire at Madison Gas and Electric's main power center in the city.
Fromagination Artisan Cheese and Perfect Companions posted about one of the incidents on Facebook.
Software company Zendesk had placed a large catering order with Fromagination. But the company closed its Madison office on Friday because of the fire. In order to put out the fire, MG&E had to de-energize the substation, knocking power out to thousands in the downtown area.
Instead of letting the food go to waste, Zendesk decided to donate its catering order to local shelters.
Meanwhile, all the Princeton Club locations in Dane County provided free day passes to all those displaced by Friday's fire and power outage.
The health club has two Madison locations and one in Fitchburg.
Festival Foods provided water to first responders throughout the day, according to a tweet from the Madison Police Department.
Madison firefighters also responded to a second fire at an MG&E substation. This substation is near Ogg Hall on the University of Wisconsin campus.
No one was hurt in either fire.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Gov. Evers signs executive order creating task force on reducing prescription drug prices
- Animal-free Venardos Circus running at West Towne Mall until Sept. 2
- Disney Classics returning to Marcus Theatres in September
- ‘It would have been a huge impact': Village happy Cambria plant is being sold rather than closing
- Senate Health Committee hears arguments for and against dental therapists bill
- Customers sad to see Michael's Frozen Custard location go: 'It's been here forever and ever'