A 23-year-old was convicted Wednesday in Dane County court of drowning a pet rabbit, police said.
Madison police said Brianna D. Barber of Madison was sentenced to four years of probation and ordered not to have contact with pets or small animals. Barber pleaded guilty in Dane County Circuit Court to killing the rabbit, Oreo.
Police said Barber was a guest in a Madison home on March 23 when she submerged Oreo in a sink for several minutes. Barber admitted to drowning the pet, according to the report.
Police said Oreo was a much-loved pet.
Madison police spokesman Joel DeSpain said the department takes mistreatment of animals reports seriously. A West District detective was assigned to investigate the case after Oreo's death earlier this year.
Barber also pleaded guilty to felony bail jumping related to the case.
- Police: Woman shot in DeForest, man in custody Friday night
- Dog's bark alerts owners to suspicious men outside home
- Student arrested, accused of making threats against Columbus High School
- UW-Madison Athletic Board to raise student ticket prices
- Local Dreamer concerned as DACA deadline approaches
- Dodgeville police issue arrest warrant for Kwik Trip armed robbery suspect