FITCHBURG, Wis. - The 63-year-old bicyclist who was seriously injured in a collision with a vehicle earlier this month had failed to stop, police said.
The Fitchburg Police Department said it concluded its investigation into the crash on the afternoon of Sept. 8 on Syene Road at the Capital City Bike Trail crossing.
According to a news release, 51-year-old Alan P. Foley, of Madison, was operating a vehicle headed north on Syene Road after turning from westbound McCoy Road. The bicyclist, Cheryll A. Maples, of Madison, was riding her bike east on the Capital City Trail and struck the driver's side of Foley's vehicle. Foley was wearing his seat belt and received minor injuries. Maples was wearing a helmet and received life-threatening injuries.
Maples was a former Madison police captain and a finalist to become chief in 2004, but Noble Wray was appointed. Maples retired from MPD that year, a police spokesman said.
Crash reconstruction investigators said Maples failed to stop at the sign posted on the Capital City Bike Trail at Syene Road prior to the collision with Foley's vehicle. Foley was driving at an appropriate speed after turning onto Syene Road. Alcohol was not a contributing factor in the crash.
Police said Friday morning that no citations have been issued.
Maples' family issued a statement through the police department.
"Cheri's family continues to focus on helping her recover from this serious accident," the statement said. "We are especially grateful to UW Hospital's trauma medical staff, the Fitchburg Police Department, and everyone who has expressed concern and support from literally all over the world."
- Fire officials respond to report of fire in apartment Friday night, dispatchers say
- Touchdown Bucks! Packers' Rodgers buys into NBA team
- Police respond to hit-and-run crash on Sherman Avenue, dispatchers said
- Officials search for inmate who walked away from work release site
- Victim: 'I have never been scared like that' about fugitive found behind fake wall, complaint says
- Dane County fugitive wanted on kidnapping, sexual assault, more charges arrested in Austria