MENOMONIE, Wis. - A BASE jumper has been arrested for criminal trespass after his parachute got tangled in the guy wires of a cell phone tower in northwestern Wisconsin.
Police say the 20-year-old man was illegally jumping from a 300-foot Charter Communications tower in Menomonie Thursday when his chute got tangled in the wires leaving him dangling 50 feet above ground. He called police for help.
The man was treated at Mayo Clinic Health System in Menomonie and released.
Police say there are many ways to BASE jump legally with the proper precautions. BASE jumping stands for building, antenna, span and earth -- the four common places from which jumpers parachute.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- ‘She gave us all that love, kindness back': Little girl who asked for dog pictures leaves big impact
- ‘I intend to stay here as long as I can': Grandma Betty sets example for Baraboo teens
- 'A lot of health consequences down the road': Doctor educates parents on dangers of teen vaping
- $30,000 cash bond set for man suspected in attempted homicide at Madison bar
- Brewers reveal new logo, uniforms
- The Sylvee creates new Facebook group after bots overrun comments, scam people for tickets