MADISON, Wis. - A homemade meat smoker caught fire Wednesday and damaged an east side home, Madison fire officials said.
Firefighters were called around 5:25 p.m. to the 5100 block of Starker Avenue for reports of a fire outside a house, according to a release.
When crews arrived, the homeowner was attempting to extinguish the fire with buckets of water, but firefighters stepped in after they saw the amount of smoke coming from the wall and soffit of the building, officials said.
The fire melted the exterior vinyl siding of the home, according to the release.
The fire was caused by a heating element in the homemade smoker that came in contact with the wooden shell, officials said. The homeowner said he started the smoker around 3 p.m. that day but didn’t notice a problem until his neighbors told him his house was on fire.
- 4 accused of maintaining drug house in Beloit; 1 facing child neglect charge
- Police ID husband accused of shooting wife in DeForest Friday night
- Investigators: Smoking near portable oxygen tank factor in fatal Madison fire
- Police: Madison home robbed over the weekend while homeowners were away
- 2 teens arrested after 12-year-old boy shot with BB gun, according to Madison police
- Passengers deplane safely in Appleton after smoke in SkyWest cabin