LAKE DELTON, Wis. - Police determined a Facebook post about an attempted abduction at the outlet mall in Lake Delton last week was fake, officials said.
The Village of Lake Delton Police Department was contacted Friday by the Outlets at the Dells about a Facebook post claiming there was an attempted abduction of a woman, according to a release. The Facebook post reportedly had vehicle information, a registration plate and a description of a suspect.
Officers investigated the post and determined the registration plate was not associated with any vehicle, officials said.
Based on a lack of contact information, police were unable to gather additional information from the person who made the initial Facebook post and officials determined the individual did not file a complaint with the police department or other surrounding agencies, according to the release.
Police determined the Facebook post was fake, but the investigation into the matter will remain open if new information becomes available, officials said.
According to the release, police believe there is no danger to the public.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Three in custody after domestic disturbance near downtown Beloit
- Two deaths, two injuries suspected to be caused by storms that swept through Wisconsin
- 2 teens arrested after reported shots-fired incident, car chase, police say
- Restaurants back in business after power outage from MGE fire
- Power restored and investigation takes place following MGE fire
- American Girl Benefit Sale enables free admissions, scholarships to Madison Children's Museum