MADISON, Wis. - Improper handling of smoking materials near a home oxygen system has been deemed the cause of a house fire over the weekend.
The woman who lives in the home was displaced after an afternoon fire caused about $150,000 in heavy smoke damage to the west side house.
Firefighters told News 3 they were called to Dale Avenue near University Avenue for reports of a fire. An elderly woman in her 90s ran out her back door and yelled for help before 3 p.m. Saturday. Neighbors took her in and called police.
No one was hurt in the fire. The house sustained heavy smoke damage.
Investigators said the fire was accidental.
Sheriff: Driver appeared to deliberately try to hit deputy while officials responded to crash
No new DA office prosecutors for Dane County despite shortage
- Sheriff: Driver appeared to deliberately try to hit deputy while officials responded to crash
- No new DA office prosecutors for Dane County despite shortage
- Students discuss school security concerns
- Teacher, firearms instructor agree arming teachers is not the way to prevent school shootings
- Madison software company creates safety technology for school districts
- Officials arrest 16 in the investigation of drug distribution in Walworth County