SUN PRAIRIE, Wis. - The Sun Prairie Area School District is investigating a student who wore blackface at a girls basketball game.
The district said in a statement Monday that the student attended the game on Saturday. The student wasn't wearing blackface when he entered but apparently applied it during the game to his entire face and posted a photo of himself wearing it on social media. He removed the paint after his peers intervened.
The district noted that it prohibits anything deemed to be disruptive, provocative or intimidating during the school day or at school events, including identity-obstructive masks, full face paint and any materials worn over the face.
The statement said blackface evokes reminders of a racist and painful history for black people and school administrators have launched a full investigation.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- New start, dismissal times for several Madison schools for 2020-21 school year
- Sun Prairie schools investigating student who wore blackface at basketball game
- MMSD discusses possible new south side school, hears taxpayer concerns at community meeting
- Anonymous person sues Madison schools over records request
- UW professor accused of running toxic lab that led to student's suicide to return to campus
- All public schools in a Milwaukee suburb closed after hit list, ammunition found