MADISON, Wis. - Today is day many of us are going to give but before you open your wallet we have some helpful tips:
Give to something you are passionate. Make sure that the charity you are giving to is reputable. Be sure to look into how your money will be used by an organization and avoid charities that don't disclose that.
"Don't guess. You have resources available to know that the dollars are going to where they are need and the dollars are being used in a way you want them to be used," said Len Davaiser, the executive vice president of resource development at United Way of Dane County.
There are some easy ways to become a very informed donor. The site ImpactMatters tracks how funds are distributed within well-known charities. GuideStar helps tracks at the transparency of nonprofits and Charity Navigator look at a charities' efficiency is distributing donor dollars.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Wisconsin Badgers volleyball team increases local business sales
- Some fog, freezing drizzle, flurries tonight, then a colder weekend
- 'What's going on? And why me?' Homeowner speaks out after Janesville teens break into his home
- Hilldale to host menorah lighting for first night of Hanukah
- Stolen Lake Mills car may have been used for other crimes, police say
- Complaint: Man accused of shooting person in leg faces charges of attempted first-degree homicide