MADISON, Wis. - The Dane County Sheriff's Office is joining the free Neighbors app from Ring.
Officials said the Neighbors network already has millions of users and has played a large part in catching package thieves, finding burglars and keeping e neighborhoods safe. It allows law enforcement officers to see real-time local crime and safety information.
Sheriff Dave Mahoney says having access to this video will help save investigators time.
"Our deputies can spend hours during a crime investigation seeking out video from area homes and businesses," Mahoney said. "This application will save us time and help keep our citizens informed of what's happening in their neighborhoods."
Ring's chief inventor and founder, Jamie Siminhoff, said that working together with law enforcement agencies helps build safer communities.
Following are the instructions for how to join the Neighbors app:
- Text "danecountywi" to 555-888 or click here from your smartphone to download the app for free on iOS and Android.
- Opt-in to join your neighborhood.
- Customize the geographic area you want to receive notifications for (users must verify where they are located and cannot participate in other neighborhoods).
- Receive real-time alerts from your neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team that inform of crime and safety posts via a live feed or interactive map.
- Share text updates, photos, and videos taken on any device, including Ring's home security devices
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
‘They gave the utmost': Author works to make sure no Korean War veteran goes forgotten
Local 5K raises funds for fatal disease that has no current cure
- Local 5K raises funds for fatal disease that has no current cure
- Med Flight called for car crash involving tree in Black Earth
- Memorial Union Terrace celebrates LGBTQ Pride for first time
- Backers of rural dental care find something to smile about
- Dispatch confirms traffic crash at Whitney Way and Raymond Rd.
- Former Packers running back Cedric Benson dies in overnight motorcycle crash