MADISON, Wis. - A Madison woman is accused in a second home burglary within a week of another burglary arrest in the city.
The Madison Police Department said 38-year-old Peggy L. Fleming was arrested Wednesday morning after a break-in at a Jenifer Street apartment.
Police said Fleming was arrested on suspicion of going inside a home on Riva Road Saturday and stealing a resident's wallet. The resident, a 47-year-old woman, found Fleming standing in her living room, the report said.
In the Thursday burglary, a 27-year-old man woke up when he heard someone opening his unlocked apartment door, according to the report. He got up and saw an intruder near his front door going through a bag. He told the woman to leave.
Police said, the man's neighbor was already on the phone to police because he'd also been awakened by someone trying to open his front door. His door was locked. He looked outside and could see the burglar entering the home next door.
Officers were on their way as the woman left the victim's home, the report. Fleming was taken to jail after resisting arrest.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Dane County Humane Society supports efforts to block Spring Green beagle breeding facility
- Man expected to survive after being shot by deputy during hostage situation in Marquette County
- The overlooked danger in severe weather: lightning strikes
- 2 men rob cigarettes from Kwik Trip using screwdriver, crowbar
- Complaint: Women facing charges one year after girl dies of suffocation, patterned beating
- 4 children, 2 adults dead after house fire in northern Wisconsin