JANESVILLE, Wis. - Two men are in the Rock County Jail after an argument led to a gunshot being fired in Janesville Thursday night.
The Janesville Police Department says officers were sent to 119 Linn St. at 9:30 p.m. Thursday for a report of a man inside the home who had a gun and was threatening to shoot everyone inside. Police say they believe the incident started with an argument over drugs.
The victim and her four young children were able to get out of the house. While they were leaving, a single gunshot was heard coming from the home.
Police learned through their investigation that a mutual friend had heard the argument and fired a gun outside the home.
Two men were arrested as a result of the incident. Cole Smith, 22, was arrested for first-degree recklessly endangering safety, while 22-year-old Michael Black was arrested for four counts of first-degree recklessly endangering safety while armed, one count of first-degree recklessly endangering safety/domestic violence while armed, and three counts of disorderly conduct/domestic violence while armed.
Janesville police say this was an isolated incident and there is no threat to the rest of the community.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Burglar removes plywood from broken glass door, robs pet food store, police say
- Wisconsin DOJ releases school threat assessment protocols
- Oshkosh teen wins 'Golden Ticket' on 'American Idol,' moving to next stages in competition
- Missing 11-year-old Reedsburg boy found safe, police say
- Driver backs into school bus full of kids, Grant County officials say
- Tonight at 10: Call for Action tips to prevent your grandparents from robocall scams