MADISON, Wis. - Surveillance video of an attempted burglary at a gas station shows a masked man trying to steal an ATM, according to a release.
Police responded around 4:20 a.m. to an alarm at the BP gas station at 4325 Mohawk Drive, officials said. When they arrived, they found a front door completely pulled off its frame.
Surveillance video shows a van pulling up, a masked man getting out and breaking holes in the door so he could reach inside and unlock it, according to the release. The man then wrapped a large chain and hook around an ATM and signaled to someone driving a van outside, which pulled forward to try to pull the ATM out of the business.
Because the chain and hook were not secured well around the ATM, the machine did not budge, police said. The burglars pulled the door out of its frame, causing thousands of dollars in damage.
The burglars left before police arrived, according to the complaint.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
UW-Madison to pay $1.5 million to settle claim with U.S. government, DOJ reports
3 arrested during police human trafficking John sting in Janesville, police say
- Highway 16 bridge in Columbus reopens after flooding
- Madison students hold vigil to remember victims of ChristChurch shooting
- Firefighters quickly extinguish fire in Fitchburg apartment complex wall
- Janesville first responders win SWAT team of the year for shooting response
- ‘Lessons learned': Officials say collaborative efforts making difference at housing project
- Construction returns to I-39/90: What to expect and what to watch out for