MADISON, Wis. - Surveillance video of an attempted burglary at a gas station shows a masked man trying to steal an ATM, according to a release.
Police responded around 4:20 a.m. to an alarm at the BP gas station at 4325 Mohawk Drive, officials said. When they arrived, they found a front door completely pulled off its frame.
Surveillance video shows a van pulling up, a masked man getting out and breaking holes in the door so he could reach inside and unlock it, according to the release. The man then wrapped a large chain and hook around an ATM and signaled to someone driving a van outside, which pulled forward to try to pull the ATM out of the business.
Because the chain and hook were not secured well around the ATM, the machine did not budge, police said. The burglars pulled the door out of its frame, causing thousands of dollars in damage.
The burglars left before police arrived, according to the complaint.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- The Ride event in Madison canceled due to poor weather
- Highway 14 open after Rock County crash
- Man breaks leg, requires surgery following hit-and-run in Madison
- 15-year-old Madison teen crashes car into tree, arrested for OWI
- Pecatonica Area School District responds to controversial float in homecoming parade
- Police: 19-year-old woman sexually assaulted in car while visiting downtown Madison