BARRON, Wis. - Sheriff's officials in northwestern Wisconsin say the stabbing death of a woman and a fatal traffic crash are related.
The Barron County Sheriff's Department received a call shortly before 11 a.m. Thursday reporting the death of a woman who had been stabbed in a mobile home in Cameron. The victim was identified Friday as 22-year-old Audra Poppe, of Rice Lake.
Authorities say the mobile home belonged to 21-year-old Eldon Jackson who died in a traffic crash hours before Poppe's body was found. Sheriff's officials say Jackson was driving Poppe's car when he crossed the center line and collided head-on with a dump truck on Highway 8 near Barron shortly before 6 a.m. The dump truck driver suffered non-life threatening injuries.
Investigators say they are not looking for suspects in Poppe's death.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- 'Doing nothing's not an option': State legislators and gun control activists rally for change
- Family displaced after apartment fire in Madison
- Middleton man arrested on sixth drunken driving charge
- Verona Parks Board approves Jesus Lunch event
- DeForest man charged with 5 counts of receiving child pornography
- Second Harvest Foodbank receives grant for Beloit school pantry