More chemicals found in garage, EPA called for cleanup at Madison apartment

MFD allows residents to get personal belongings

MADISON, Wis. - Officials say more chemicals have been found in a garage associated with a man who police say had dangerous chemicals in his west Madison apartment that could be flammable or explosive. 

Residents were allowed a brief escort into an apartment building Wednesday morning after Brian N. Campbell, 30, was arrested on charges of second degree recklessly endangering safety.  Police say they arrested him Tuesday night after a suspicious smell led investigators to his apartment in the 7400 block of Timber Lake Trail.  When fire officials entered, they said they found potentially explosive chemicals inside the apartment.  

Officials say more chemicals were found Wednesday in a garage associated with Campbell's address, and because of the "volume and toxicity from the totality of all that has been discovered" are now expecting a crew from the Environmental Protection Agency's regional office in Chicago to come further assess the site. 

Campbell also has a criminal history in Madison. 

In 2016, Campbell pleaded guilty to battery after being arrested on the University of Wisconsin - Madison campus when he tried to strangle a woman. He was referred to a first offenders program and was scheduled to complete it in May of 2018. 

He was also banned from the UW campus for a year, expiring in September of 2018. 

Residents of the apartment building will not be allowed back into their homes, as officials say the cleanup process for the apartment building could take several days. Residents have been able to remove valuables and other possessions from their apartments. 

The property manager alerted residents that the fire department would escort residents of the building inside to retrieve personal belongings Wednesday, according to a message forwarded to News 3. The property manager also said they would notify residents when they would be briefly allowed in. 

Officials continue to investigate the chemicals. On Wednesday, Dane County Emergency Management employees entered the building in hazmat suits.  

Although officials with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives where on the scene Tuesday, an official said their presence was precautionary and they do not have an open investigation.

Madison fire officials were called to the apartment around 10:30 a.m. for concern about an odor of chemicals. What they found was what Madison Police Chief Mike Koval described as looking as "the morning after a college party."



Experts continue to evaluate the chemicals found inside the apartment, but the evidence does not suggest the apartment was being used to make meth, police said. Investigators are still looking into what exactly Campbell was doing with the materials.

Experts from several federal agencies are collaborating to identify the chemicals and their potential use, according to the release.



Local And Regional News

Photo Galleries

This Week's Circulars

E-News Registration