MADISON, Wis. - A funeral was disrupted Friday afternoon when a gunman fired a shot into the air, police said.
Madison police said the armed man then pointed the weapon at people who had gathered at a gravesite just before 2 p.m. on Mineral Point Road.
Mourners fled to their cars and drove away from Sunset Memory Gardens, according to the report. The gunman got into a white sedan.
Detectives said the incident was not a random act of violence and that the man who fired the shot appeared to be acquainted with some of the people who were attending the ceremony.
- Heat a concern for those without homes this holiday weekend
- Flowers stolen from veterans' graves on Memorial Day weekend
- Missing Beloit girl found safe
- Beloit police look for missing 10-year-old girl
- Pavement buckling on U.S. 12 impacting traffic, WisDOT says
- Madison police investigating after man robs adult video store, flees on foot