MADISON, Wis. - A father was walking out of a Speedway gas station on Verona Road Saturday night with his three young daughters when he heard people arguing in the parking lot and saw shots fired.
According to an incident report, the father took his children and saw people back inside the gas station. A 59-year-old military veteran who has done nine combat tours stood at the doors, stayed calm and instructed customers and staff members to stay inside the store by getting down on the floor.
Police said a man ran past the veteran and said, "They're tearing it up out there."
Witnesses saw people get into a black sedan and an SUV and drive away.
Police said there were no reports of injuries or property damage, but several people were left shaken by the incident.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
Educator punched in face, kicked while in fetal position by student's mother, police say
Officials ID man killed in officer-involved shooting in Beloit
- Educator punched in face, kicked while in fetal position by student's mother, police say
- Officials ID man killed in officer-involved shooting in Beloit
- 2 officers injured by suspect who led a nearly 65-mile chase
- Emergency crews at scene after vehicle crashes into building in Marshall
- Man proposes with lit-up message at Holiday Fantasy in Lights
- Wisconsin co. won't reopen flood-damaged Nebraska jerky plant