MILWAUKEE, Wis. - A Minnesota medical examiner has preliminarily identified a body found in a rural Minnesota field as 2-year-old Noelani Robinson.
An Amber Alert was activated on Monday after she wasn't handed off to her mother as planned. Police believe her father, Dariaz Higgins, murdered her mother and abducted the toddler.
According to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, a passerby reported seeing a blanket in a ditch along Highway 218, about a mile north of Blooming Prairie. Authorities found the child's body wrapped in the blanket.
After a preliminary investigation, the medical examiner identified the body as Robinson. The report also notes the cause of death as "homicide due to blunt force trauma to the head."
BCA agents searched the crime scene and executed a search warrant at a hotel in Austin, about 15 miles away from the ditch where Robinson was found. They believe Higgins stayed there at one point during the week.
Authorities noted they're not sure when, where and who killed Robinson, and that the investigation is still underway.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Bucks' Giannis Antetokounmpo to attend free meet and greet in Stoughton
- Dane County offering jobs at zoo with new vendor as Zoo Society presents new contract proposal
- Madison's mayoral candidates weigh in on troubled Judge Doyle Square project
- Spring flooding has cost Wisconsin governments $2M so far
- Verona native, Beata Nelson, captures NCAA title in 200-yard individual medley
- Madison street closed for one month due to street reconstruction