MILWAUKEE, Wis. - A Minnesota medical examiner has preliminarily identified a body found in a rural Minnesota field as 2-year-old Noelani Robinson.
An Amber Alert was activated on Monday after she wasn't handed off to her mother as planned. Police believe her father, Dariaz Higgins, murdered her mother and abducted the toddler.
According to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, a passerby reported seeing a blanket in a ditch along Highway 218, about a mile north of Blooming Prairie. Authorities found the child's body wrapped in the blanket.
After a preliminary investigation, the medical examiner identified the body as Robinson. The report also notes the cause of death as "homicide due to blunt force trauma to the head."
BCA agents searched the crime scene and executed a search warrant at a hotel in Austin, about 15 miles away from the ditch where Robinson was found. They believe Higgins stayed there at one point during the week.
Authorities noted they're not sure when, where and who killed Robinson, and that the investigation is still underway.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Highway 14 open after Rock County crash
- Man breaks leg, requires surgery following hit-and-run in Madison
- 15-year-old Madison teen crashes car into tree, arrested for OWI
- Pecatonica Area School District responds to controversial float in homecoming parade
- Police: 19-year-old woman sexually assaulted in car while visiting downtown Madison
- Kenosha County juvenile accused of school shooting threat may face terrorism charges