ELKHORN, Wis. - A man was shot and killed by a Walworth County deputy in Elkhorn Thursday night, according to a news release.
The Walworth County Sheriff's Office said in a news release Friday morning that it had received a report of a vehicle that was driving recklessly originating out of Waukesha County before 10 p.m.
Officials said deputies found the vehicle and attempted a traffic stop at Highway 12/67 and Potter Road near the city limits of Elkhorn. The vehicle didn't stop and deputies pursued it. During the pursuit, Deputies made numerous attempts to stop the vehicle.
According to the report, during an attempt to stop the vehicle, the vehicle came to a stop and a deputy exited his marked squad car. The driver allegedly drove toward the deputy, who shot the driver. The driver and sole occupant of the vehicle died at the scene.
The deputy involved has been placed on administrative duty, which is standard practice following an officer-involved shooting, the sheriff's department said.
The incident happened near an industrial park.
The sheriff's department, the Department of Justice Division of Criminal Investigations and the Office of the Medical Examiner are investigating the incident, officials said.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
Boys accused of beating goose to death in Sauk County, sheriff's office refers charges
Boy, 5, dies after he was shot in Kenosha, left at hospital
- Crew who bored into Sherman Avenue water line hired by contractor from Sun Prairie explosion
- Baraboo man arrested on fourth OWI, officials said
- Police: Rock Springs man arrested on eighth OWI
- Seniors concerned by broken central A/C at apartment complex; city to consider enforcement action
- Warriors and Wizards Festival founder facing felony for theft, lawsuit from city of Jefferson
- Boys and Girls Club members learn engineering basics from U.S. Cellular experts