MADISON, Wis. - A Madison woman was scammed when she tried to sell her car on Craigslist, according to a release from Madison police.
The 21-year-old woman told police she listed her car for $700 and got text messages from someone she thought was an out-of-state buyer. He sent her a check for $2,200 to cover the cost of the car, and she was asked to use the rest of the money to pay a driver to deliver her car.
She was told to send $1,450 via Walmart money transfer to the delivery person, who was reportedly in Cleveland.
The woman sent the money and later discovered that the check was fake, according to the release.
- 'Promised they would keep her safe': Family sues assisted living facility after exposure death
- UWM students file 22 sexual harassment, assault complaints
- Watertown police say reports of active shooter situation inaccurate
- Dane County to explore building more manure digesters to promote clean lakes
- Officials ask residents to clean up salt on sidewalks
- 1 person injured in crash when car catches fire, officials say