LOYAL, Wis. - State officials are investigating an officer-involved shooting in Loyal that resulted in the death of a person who fired on law enforcement and injured an officer.
Wisconsin Department of Justice officials say the shooting happened early Friday morning after the suspect fled a traffic stop. Investigators say there was a standoff at the suspect's residence and a Clark County sheriff's deputy was shot. Officers eventually entered the building and shot and killed the suspect.
The name of the suspect has not been released.
Officials say the deputy received non-life threatening injuries. No other individuals were hurt during the standoff.
The officer who shot the suspect is a Marathon County sheriff's deputy. He has been placed on paid administrative leave, which is department policy.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- 'Doing nothing's not an option': State legislators and gun control activists rally for change
- Family displaced after apartment fire in Madison
- Middleton man arrested on sixth drunken driving charge
- Verona Parks Board approves Jesus Lunch event
- DeForest man charged with 5 counts of receiving child pornography
- Second Harvest Foodbank receives grant for Beloit school pantry