GREEN BAY, Wis. - The daughter of one of the Legislature's most powerful lawmakers is facing new drug charges from prison where she is awaiting trial on charges she supplied drugs that killed a pregnant woman.
Cassandra Nygren is the 30-year-old daughter of state budget committee co-chair Rep. John Nygren, a Republican from Marinette.
WLUK-TV reported Wednesday that Cassandra Nygren was charged Tuesday with delivering amphetamines and providing illegal items to an inmate in the Brown County Jail. Both charges were filed as repeat offenses and as conspiracy to commit.
Her trial on the homicide charges is scheduled to begin in February. She has been in jail since October 2017.
John Nygren has championed numerous law changes aimed at combatting opioid and drug abuse and referenced his daughter's struggles as inspiration.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Adams County man sentenced to 90 months in federal prison for possessing firearms as felon
- Artist to dismantle spire saved from St. Raphael Cathedral fire in attempt to preserve its history
- Snow this evening ending around midnight
- Three new police officers, no ambulance: Police, fire departments react to city budget decisions
- Plover man sentenced to seven years in federal prison for meth distribution
- Man sentenced to 84 months for possessing heroin with intent to distribute