MADISON, Wis. - Two men who approached a 97-year-old woman Thursday and stole items from her handbag, were located using surveillance images from Capitol Center Market's cameras and city cameras, police said.
Police said in a news release the men approached the woman Thursday morning while she was exiting Capitol Center Market and tried to sell her Starbucks gift cards. When she said no to purchasing the cards, the men asked her if they could give her a hug.
While the woman was distracted by hugging one of the men, the other stole her electronic tablet and other items from her handbag, according to the report.
Surveillance images were disseminated among police personnel to identify and locate the suspects. After 1 p.m. Thursday, officers said they saw both men near the Madison Public Library. Officers said they approached them and one of the men ran on foot. Lenier Johnson, 53 years old, was arrested on suspicion for theft from person, resisting arrest and a parole violation. Officers said they chased him a short distance and arrested him on North Henry Street.
The other man, Derrick L. Moore, 34 years old, was taken immediately into custody and was found to be in possession of drug paraphernalia, police said. He was arrested on suspicion of party to a crime theft from person, possession of drug paraphernalia and a probation violation.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
Officers won't be charged in high-speed I-39 crash that killed suspected kidnapper, his brother
MPD: Motel guest opens door to find stranger with gun; other guests have purse, wallet stolen
- MPD: Motel guest opens door to find stranger with gun; other guests have purse, wallet stolen
- Drunken driver crashes into Beaver Dam school causing estimated $100K in damage, officials say
- Fire likely ignited by discarded cigarettes causes $50,000 in vehicle damage
- Lyft, MGE offer financial support to increase electric vehicle ride-sharing in Madison
- Board considers $5.7 million homicide claim in private
- Eau Claire man accused of threatening workplace shooting