MADISON, Wis. - One person was injured in a shooting in downtown Madison on Wednesday afternoon, according to police.
Madison police said just before 3 p.m. that a woman in her 40s was shot in the upper torso and taken to the hospital.
Officers on scene of shooting in the 200 block of State Street. One person has been taken to a hospital. There is no ongoing threat to— Madison Police (@madisonpolice) August 14, 2019
Police spokesman Joel DeSpain said the woman was getting into an SUV in the 200 block of State Street with a man she knows when the shooting happened. Seconds after she got in the SUV, shots were fired.
The person giving the woman a ride -- a man in his 40s -- was detained following the gunfire, police said. The woman was conscious and alert at the hospital.
It was unclear whether the incident was intentional or an accident, DeSpain said. The woman suffered a serious injury, but was alert and talking at the scene.
Officials said there is no ongoing danger to the community, and the 200 block of State Street was closed for the investigation.
Police said a handgun was recovered.
Female shot, taken to hospital. A person known to her detained following State St. gunfire. No ongoing danger to community. 200 block closed for investigation. pic.twitter.com/8GscBXAVDa— Madison Police (@madisonpolice) August 14, 2019
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
Man charged with hiding corpse of woman whose remains were found in Adams County
Middleton school district identifies, suspends students involved with social media threats
- East High School students find cameras in their hotel rooms during school-sponsored conference
- Chances for freezing drizzle, flurries, light snow through Saturday, then colder
- Madison Yards development announces addition of Whole Foods Market
- UW-Madison invites dogs to campus to help alleviate student stress during finals
- Man charged with hiding corpse of woman whose remains were found in Adams County
- Poll shows unchanged views on Trump impeachment in Wisconsin