GREEN COUNTY, Wis. - A man involved in a fatal crash Friday night served prison time for a fatal hit-and-run in 2002.
Around 6 p.m. Friday, Green County deputies responded to a fatal two-vehicle crash in the W600 block of STH 11, Town of Spring Grove. They said the crash was caused by an intoxicated driver who fell asleep at the wheel.
The deputies' investigation revealed that 44-year-old Nathan L. Leopold fell asleep, crossed the center line and crashed into a vehicle being driven by a 70-year-old Juda resident.
The 70-year-old was pronounced dead at the crash site. A 12-year-old child who was in the car was injured.
The sheriff's office says Leopold was under the influence of drugs.
Court records show Leopold served five years and seven months in prison after pleading no contest to hitting 28-year-old Aimee Kubler while she was jogging down Highway J-G in 2002. Leopold was also under the influence during that fatal accident.
Leopold is now in the Rock County Jail facing new OWI charges.
- Officials ID man killed in single-vehicle crash, fire
- Father: Marine fatally stabbed at base is Rock County man
- Ride the Drive back for 10th year, organizers say
- Former Spectrum employee pleads guilty to embezzling $280K in false checks
- Death of Milwaukee baby investigated
- State education plan wins approval over objections